So I'm having a rough patch with Collin, ok actually I'm totally stressed out and sleep deprived! Uncle Kevin is going to kill me for posting this because I'm only supposed to let Kaylee know about the sweet pleasant times of motherhood so that she will get excited to get have kids someday. :) I really do absolutely adore being a mom. Especially to such a cute little tike, as you can see from the pictures below ;). But I think I shot myself in the foot by not teaching him to sleep better at night. Some of my friends kids have slept through the night easily without much training. Collin only takes 20-45 minute naps during the day. I know he doesn't need to be fed at night anymore, and I try to to only do it about once a night. I've been reading books like crazy to find some answers. I finally found this one called Baby Whisperer and I love it. So the other night I read it for two hours and felt really good about things and Collin woke up as soon as I put the book down and we were up for an hour until he finally screamed himself back to sleep and I was in tears! I don't nurse him to sleep unless it's in the middle of the night, I try to follow a routine. I'm backed up to the wall of letting him cry himself to sleep and I swear it's made him onery!! He's usually so sweet and such a happy baby, but now since all this happened it seems like he's more needy than ever! If I pick him up he settles for a few seconds and then starts arching his back and crying again.
So this is a plea post to all those wiser women than me for some advice, and please don't hesitate to dish it out!!

8 comments:
ha ha!! I'm laughing so hard right now at the uncle Kevin comment! Don't worry, this post didn't affect me at all! :) Can't wait to see you guys in less than a week!! Yay!
I don't know if I can be much help. Taylor and Devin learned to sleep through the night by about 4 months(not by my doing must have been the good Lord) Dustin woke up once a night until he was one. He would wake up and I would feed him he would go back to bed and that was that. Everyone said not to feed him that he would get used to it, but after nights of crying I gave in and just continued our little routine. At one something snapped in him and he started sleeping! Camryn went through a phase were she wouldn't go to sleep until she was in our bed. SO I would put her in my bed til she feel asleep then mover her..then one day I put her in her bed and she slept and from then on we were good. I don't think it is a good mother/bad mother thing I think it is an every baby is different thing and they all get it at different times. Best wishes and God bless!!
Not that I am a huge expert...but I was wondering when Ashlynn would start sleeping through the night and came across this article http://breastfeedingbasics.com/html/night_waking.shtml It's kind of a lengthy article, but it helped me not worry so much about Ashlynn waking up to eat a few times each night.
Oh dear, it's crazy because I can barely remember this stage and being a first time mom myself I was told that it was the best thing to have a solid routine and the earlier the better, however when nights were long and the baby wouldn't sleep I finally just broke down and gave in to nursing him back to sleep each time he woke up then giving him his binky and even if he didn't get alot it still comforted him and eventually became less and less. In fact it wasn't till just recently that the pediatrition told me that is was time to stop giving him him calories before bed and he is 15 months now. He is still quite young to sleep through the night completely but reliefe will soon come:) And if it makes you a happier mom in the morning because you got the sleep that you so much deserve, then I think giving in a little is deffinately worth it;) Good luck!
Brie could just be put in her crib with the mobile on and fall asleep on her own. Then knock on the wall when she woke up. She didn't cry. She started sleeping all night at 6 months. She sucked her thumb. THEN came Kass. I don't think he has slept a night through in his life. He was a binky baby and he just wanted us to put his binky back in. Mikele woke up the least before sleeping all night and I taught her to suck her thumb. She started sleeping all night at about 6 months. Kass and Mik liked to be rocked. I didn't breastfeed, though. A weird thing is that not one of them ever held a bottle. I did it and didn't just hand it to them. They were easy to change to sippy cups and we didn't have trouble getting rid of the thumbs. Mik took 2 days and Brie was instant. I didn't let them just cry. I couldn't do it. I know of some who have, but I don't know what helps.
Great timing!! I woke up with Jocelyn at 2:30 this morning and didn't got back to sleep until 8:30 a.m. when Jeff got up with her!!!!! Yah...Kaylee don't read my comment :)! If you get an great ideas I should start while Joci is only 2 months let me know?! This is my second kid?! Carson was just too GOOD! :)
Hi, you don't know me, but I was blog surfing some old high schooler's blogs and came across yours....sorry. :)
For our son, every night we give him a bath which helps him calm down, give him some milk, say prayers, and go to bed. If he's really wound up, we'll read a book or two. I've heard that trying to limit noise (TV, music) about an hour before bedtime is a good idea, and I've also heard to not speak to your baby when they wake up at night so they realize it's not time to be awake.
I would just try to stick to some kind of routine and still be a bit flexible. You don't want to get into habits that are hard to break for the both of you, but there were times when my baby would have a bad week or two and then be okay after that. Good luck! (And all of us moms struggle with sleeping or eating issues with kids, I think. I had no idea how hard those two things would be!)
Hey Carolyn! I found your blog and your litle boy is so adorable. Anyway I can really relate to what you had to say in this post. My baby is 4 months old and eventhough he was 2 months premature I still was really needing some sleep at night. I think what really turned it around for me is first off I moved him to his crib instead of in his bassinet and also I started really getting a routine set up for the daytime and making sure instead of getting cat naps that he would get good day time naps. I read a book called on becoming baby wise and I don't agree with alot in the book but one thing I liked was the schedule to make sure after feeding and playtime the baby goes down for a nap at least an hour long. So far my baby has been getting really good day time naps which in turn has made it so he sleeps through the night and doesnt wake up until his morning feeding. I never knew making sure he gets good day time sleep means night time sleep too! anyway sorry this a novel but just thought I would share that tidbit with ya!
Post a Comment